The Top Prospect Trifectas
Today’s Pipeline Perspective focuses on the best prospect trios in a single farm system. I went with the Twins’ Byron Buxton, Miguel Sano and Alex Meyer, and I’ll list the top 15 in order below (MLBPipeline.com Top 100 rankings in parentheses):
1. OF Byron Buxton (1), 3B Miguel Sano (4) & RHP Alex Meyer (28), Twins. My reasoning is here.
2. SS Javier Baez (7), 3B Kris Bryant (9) & OF Albert Almora (18), Cubs. This was Jonathan Mayo’s No. 1 choice and a close second for me.
3. SS Carlos Correa (8), RHP Mark Appel (17) & OF George Springer (21), Astros. Three major reasons why Houston has the game’s best farm system.
4. OF Gregory Polanco (13), RHP Jameson Taillon (16) & RHP Tyler Glasnow (27), Pirates. If this were all-pitcher trios, Pittsburgh would rank atop this list with Taillon, Glasnow and Nick Kingham.
5. SS/3B Xander Bogaerts (2), LHP Henry Owens (30) & OF Jackie Bradley Jr. (33), Red Sox. Boston led all organizations with nine prospects on our Top 100.
6. RHP Kyle Zimmer (25), RHP Yordano Ventura (35) & SS Raul Adalberto Mondesi (38), Royals. Kansas City hasn’t had a homegrown All-Star shortstop since . . . ever.
7. RHP Jon Gray (14), RHP Eddie Butler (41) & OF David Dahl (71), Rockies. Look for Dahl to rebound in a huge way this season.
8. RHP Noah Syndergaard (11), C Travis d’Arnaud (22) & RHP Rafael Montero (85), Mets. Syndergaard and d’Arnaud came from the Blue Jays in the R.A. Dickey trade.
9. SS Francisco Lindor (10), OF Clint Frazier (48) & RHP Trevor Bauer (73), Indians. All three were taken in the top eight overall picks in the 2011 or 2013 Drafts.
10. SS Corey Seager (34), OF Joc Pederson (36) & LHP Julio Urias (64), Dodgers. I like Urias more than RHP Zach Lee, who’s No. 63 on our Top 100.
11. LHP Andrew Heaney (29), 3B Colin Moran (51) & OF Jake Marisnick (65), Marlins. Miami is on a roll with its last four first-round picks: Christian Yelich, Jose Fernandez, Heaney and Moran.
12. RHP Dylan Bundy (20), RHP Kevin Gausman (31) & LHP Eduardo Rodriguez (68), Orioles. Baltimore’s future No. 1, 2 and 3 starters, and the future fast approaches.
13. OF Oscar Taveras (3), 2B Kolten Wong (58) & OF Stephen Piscotty (98), Cardinals. Not sure how St. Louis will find room, but Taveras and Wong are ready now and Piscotty is close.
14. RHP Archie Bradley (5), SS Chris Owings (77) & RHP Braden Shipley (79), Diamondbacks. Shipley at No. 15 in the 2013 Draft could be a steal of Wachaesque proportions.
15. C Jorge Alfaro (39), 2B Rougned Odor (59) & SS Luis Sardinas (76), Rangers. The only all-international trio on this list; I like Sardinas more than OF Michael Choice, No. 72 on our Top 100.